Mudra on NABU’s Forest Gump case: "I deny committing any unlawful criminal acts". VIDEO
The High Anti-Corruption Court will continue its hearing on imposing a preventive measure on former Deputy Head of the Office of the President Iryna Mudra on Monday, 24 August. She denies the NABU allegations in the Forest Gump case.
This was reported by a Censor.NET correspondent.
Video description
(Video transcript)
The video shows a court hearing in an ordinary courtroom. The Ukrainian coat of arms and the blue-and-yellow flag are visible on the wall behind the judges’ bench, along with several dark leather chairs, a wall clock and standard office lighting. Several participants in the proceedings are in the frame: two men in dark suits standing with their backs to the camera and a middle-aged woman wearing glasses and a blue vest over a light-blue shirt, with her hair tied back. Iryna Mudra gestures actively while speaking to those present in the courtroom. Judging by her facial expression and posture, she appears to be explaining something emotionally or insisting on her position.
What is known?
On 21 August, Mudra’s defence requested that the court hearing be held behind closed doors. Her lawyer argued that the case materials contained information that would lead to the disclosure of details about the suspect’s private and family life.
Mudra said that her health had deteriorated amid these developments and therefore supported the motion for a closed hearing. After the court hearing, Mudra stressed that she did not admit guilt.
"I deny committing any unlawful criminal acts. My defence team is preparing very detailed explanations. At the next hearing, we will address every article and every episode in great detail," she stressed.
What does the prosecution say?
The prosecution asked the court to remand Iryna Mudra in custody with the option of posting bail of UAH 150 million. Prosecutor Vitalii Hrechyshkin declined to immediately explain the grounds for the requested bail amount.
On 24 August, the court will examine in detail the suspect’s financial circumstances, the extent of the risks that she may obstruct the criminal proceedings, and other circumstances.
Operation "Forrest Gump"
- It was previously reported that NABU and SAPO were conducting a special operation aimed at exposing a criminal group involving MPs and senior Presidential Office officials.
- According to media reports, NABU and SAPO were conducting searches involving Deputy Head of the Office of the President Iryna Mudra as part of the announced operation.
- NABU detectives also conducted searches involving Hladyshchenko, chair of the Sense Bank supervisory board.
- Vadym Stolar, an MP from the court-banned Opposition Platform – For Life party, confirmed that NABU and SAPO were searching his property as part of Operation "Forrest Gump."
- NABU later said the case involved UAH 150 million in cash, which, according to the investigation, was channelled through a series of shell-company accounts and brought into legal circulation to post bail for one of the defendants in the Midas case.
- Former deputy head of the Presidential Office Iryna Mudra later confirmed that searches had been conducted at her home on August 19, that she had been served with a notice of suspicion and a motion seeking a preventive measure, but that she had not been detained. She is preparing for a court hearing.
- On 20 August, NABU released new recordings of conversations involving figures in the Forest Gump case—the second part of the investigation, titled Themis. The case concerns a scheme to seize real estate and other assets through unauthorised interference with the Ministry of Justice’s information (automated) networks.
- On 20 August, a prosecutor from the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor’s Office (SAPO) named all the individuals mentioned in connection with NABU’s Forest Gump and Themis operations.