5595 visitors online
As the conflict between Ukraine and Russia endures, the question of a truce remains pivotal. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov maintains that Russia will not agree to a ceasefire without addressing the root causes. Meanwhile, U.S. Vice President J.D. Vance highlights the lack of readiness for a peace deal. The European Union, aiming to support Ukraine with military instructors, waits for a truce establishment. Ukrainian attempts at engaging Russia in truce talks face hurdles, with Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov acknowledging no air truce agreements with Ukraine. Amidst diplomatic efforts, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy calls for a 30-day ceasefire, emphasizing the need for de-escalation, while Russian proposals for short-term truces raise skepticism.

Why is Russia reluctant to agree to a truce with Ukraine?

Russia, as explained by Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, insists on addressing the root causes of the conflict before agreeing to a truce, seeking comprehensive settlement terms. This stance reflects Russia's strategic interests in maintaining its leverage while negotiating terms favorable to its geopolitical goals. As such, the prospect of a ceasefire must align with Russia's broader objectives, necessitating diplomatic efforts to address underlying issues.

What steps are being taken by the European Union in relation to the truce?

The European Union plans to send military instructors to Ukraine, as part of its EUMAM mission, contingent upon a successfully established truce. This preparatory step underscores the EU's commitment to bolstering Ukraine's military capabilities and stabilizing the region. Their involvement highlights an international effort to ensure that, once achieved, a truce provides a foundation for further stabilization and peacebuilding activities.

What is the United States' position on the Ukraine-Russia truce?

The U.S., under leaders like Vice President J.D. Vance, remains committed to facilitating peace, although highlighting challenges due to Ukraine and Russia's lack of readiness for an immediate peace agreement. The U.S. Senate has also positioned itself to administer sanctions against Russia should it fail to engage constructively in ceasefire talks, emphasizing the diplomatic and economic tools at America's disposal to influence outcomes.

How has the Ukrainian government responded to Russian truce proposals?

Ukrainian officials, including President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, have expressed skepticism about Russian truce proposals, often referring to them as inadequate and unlikely to foster genuine peace. Ukraine calls for a comprehensive 30-day ceasefire without preconditions, asserting a firm stand against piecemeal agreements which could be used by Russia to gain a tactical advantage or mask continued aggression.

What role does the international community play in the Ukraine truce negotiations?

The international community, particularly entities like the United Nations and European Union, play a crucial role as mediators and supporters of peace frameworks. Their involvement includes proposing resolutions, offering peacekeeping support, and monitoring compliance with truce agreements. The participation of these global actors aims to ensure transparency and fairness, encouraging all parties to adhere to negotiated terms and work toward lasting peace in the region.

show details

News Truce

донбасс война Russian command urges Ukrainian military to halt offensive in Donbas and call truce "DPR" militants offered the Ukrainian military to cease fire at midnight, Feb 9. According to "DPR's operations command" representative Eduard Basurin, not a single shot has been fired since 3 a.m. 361 293 558 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Governor Zhebrivskyi says talks underway to cease fire in Avdiivka on Feb. 2 Chairman of the Donetsk regional military and civil administration Pavlo Zhebrivskyi says the parties started negotiations to establish cease-fire in the Donbas on Feb. 2. 16 937 50 Previously in trend: Avdiivka fighting

Minsk-banned weapon use in Donbas increased by 250 percent since Dec. 19, - OSCE Monitor Hug OSCE's Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) in Ukraine says the cease-fire was not in place in the Donbas during the winter holidays. 2 329 7 Ukrainian Politics

Turkey, Russia propose cease-fire in Syria from Dec. 29, - media Turkey and Russia have agreed on a proposal toward a general cease-fire in Syria to be presented to the parties of the conflict. 4 673 25 Previously in trend: War in Syria Russian aggression against Ukraine War

морпех "We see no difference. Everything’s as usual: grenade launchers, small arms, machine guns used against us yesterday. Militants keep approaching our positions," - Russian terrorists keep breaching truce. VIDEO The enemy continues breaching the cease-fire deal although it came into force in the Donbas more than 48 hours ago. 20 672 19 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine War

ато 39 militants’ attacks reported yesterday, Talakivka shelled with large-caliber mortars It was reported about 39 militants’ attacks upon Ukrainian soldiers in the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) area over the past 24 hours. 10 287 38 Ukrainian Politics

Boris Johnson welcomes introduction of cease-fire in Donbas The U.K. foreign secretary calls on all parties to implement the agreed cease-fire as a basis for lasting peace in 2017. 8 194 31 Ukrainian Politics

JCCC confirms introduction of cease-fire in Donbas Ukrainian representatives of the Joint Center for Control and Coordination (JCCC) confirms the introduction of a comprehensive, sustainable, and 'indefinite' cease-fire in the Donbas at midnight on Dec. 24, 2016. 12 362 35 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Poroshenko welcomes arrangement to cease fire in Donbas from Dec. 24 reached in Minsk President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko welcomes the agreement to cease fire in the Donbas effective from Dec. 24 that was reached at peace talks in Minsk. 14 388 214 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

US expects Donbas cease-fire to last after holidays The United States welcomes the trilateral contact group’s announcement of an agreement for a holiday cease-fire in eastern Ukraine set to begin on Dec. 24 at midnight. 3 995 43 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Poroshenko, Merkel discuss recent developments in Donbas, Privatbank nationalization President Petro Poroshenko had a phone conversation with Federal Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel. 5 659 29 Ukrainian Politics

Trilateral Contact Group calls to cease fire in Donbas from Dec. 24, - Ambassador Sajdik Trilateral Contact Group on implementation of peace plan in Ukraine’s east (TCG) calls for sustained cease-fire in the Donbas from midnight of Dec. 24 in view of the upcoming holidays. 9 116 63 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Situation deteriorates in Donbas as monitors register record number of cease-fire violations, - US ambassador to OSCE According to the OSCE Special Monitoring Missions (SMM), the recent weeks have seen the highest number of cease-fire violations in the east of Ukraine. 7 061 26 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Explosions heard in disengagement areas in Zolote and Petrivske, - OSCE OSCE reports on the situation in the disengagement areas. 2 637 10 Incidents

Disengagement of troops not possible near Stanytsia Luhanska, - ATO spokesperson Over the past 24 hours, pro-Russian militants deployed in Luhansk direction shelled Ukrainian positions 16 times. 5 202 8 Ukrainian Politics

Troops withdrawal prepared by Ukrainian side, prevented by militants’ attacks, - Staff The Armed Forces of Ukraine are ready for disengagement of troops and hardware in the Donbas in accordance with the framework decision adopted by the Trilateral Contact Group. However, the attacks committed by the militants on the Ukrainian troops positions near Stanytsia Luhanska Nov. 1 and 2 prevented it. 2 529 15 Incidents

Ukrainian army ready to disengage troops in Stanytsia Luhanska, Russian militants keep violating cease-fire, - ATO Staff The Ukrainian Armed Forces are ready to fulfill the Minsk agreements in part of the mirror disengagement of troops and hardware near Stanytsia Luhanska, but say the enemy has not fulfilled the deal in part of the cease-fire. 2 694 34 Incidents

Monitors cannot access disengagement areas in Petrivske and Stanytsia Luhanska, - OSCE The limited access is caused by bombs in the two disengagement areas of the Donbas. 2 589 15 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine Occupied territories - Crimea and Donbas

Coordination between Russian, Ukrainian JCCC members needed for successful disengagement of troops in Donbas, - OSCE Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine Alexander Hug says more teamwork is needed within the Joint Center for Control and Coordination of Cease-fire in Donbas (JCCC) to complete the disengagement of troops and hardware in the designated areas in Ukraine’s east. 2 433 7 Incidents

Observers fail to access disengagement area in Petrivske, - OSCE The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) could not proceed through the potential Zolote-Pervomaisk crossing route from either side as the crossing route has not been demined yet. 1 845 8 Previously in trend: Occupied territories - Crimea and Donbas

OSCE observers failed to get to Petrivske, Bohdanivka disengagement areas OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) was unable to travel to disengagement areas near Petrivske and Bohdanivka as Ukrainian Armed Forces and “DPR” militants failed to guarantee SMM’s security. 4 520 47 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

EU summit participants to call Russia to establish sustainable truce in Syria, Germany’s Merkel says The participants of the EU summit are going to call on Russia to extend the cease-fire in Syria to make possible the delivery of humanitarian aid. 2 533 28 Previously in trend: War in Syria

Further troop withdrawal in Donbas hardly possible over non-stop fire, - Mariupol sector representative Markovskyi Constant attacks by pro-Russian militants make the previously agreed disengagement of forces in eastern Ukraine hardly possible. 5 584 15 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Mines hamper observers' access to Petrivske area, - OSCE Observers of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) are experiencing problems accessing one of the disengagement areas. 881 1 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Access to disengagement area in Petrivske limited by mines, - OSCE OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) announces lack of security guarantees near Petrivske and Bohdanivka villages of the Donetsk region. 1 256 8 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

тука "No decision on termination of disengagement has been made," - Tuka Disengagement continues in Stanytsia Luhanska, the Luhansk region. 21 474 72 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Pro-Russian militants withdrew troops from demarcation line in Luhansk region The pro-Russian troops have been withdrawn from the demarcation line in the Luhansk region. 24 860 38 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Armed Forces of Ukraine start equipping OSCE observation post near Petrivske, - JCCC The next step will be gradual demining of the area abandoned by the troops after the disengagement. The disengagement of troops and hardware in the vicinity of Bohdanivka and Petrivske villages in the Donbas was successfully completed yesterday. The Armed Forces of Ukraine began to equip an OSCE observation post and a stronghold in the area. 3 041 34 Ukrainian Politics

Occupants withdrawing troops from Petrivske, - Defense Ministry Russian terrorist forces continue withdrawing their units from the demarcation line in the Donetsk region. 10 220 44 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

лисенко Disengagement of troops near Bohdanivka and Petrivske successfully completed, verified by OSCE and JCCC, - Defense Ministry The disengagement of troops and hardware in the vicinity of Bohdanivka and Petrivske villages in the Donbas has been successfully completed. 15 436 58 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

война литва учения гибридная клайпеда Disengagement of troops kicked off at Bohdanivka-Petrivske section of front line, - Donetsk Regional Administration Head Zhebrivskyi The area remains under control of the Ukrainian government and is monitored by the Ukrainian scouts and OSCE observers. 15 619 69 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

обсе Russian militants refuse to withdraw troops from Petrivske, - OSCE The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission's (SMM) access was restricted in all three designated disengagement areas in the Donbas. 12 802 25 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Troops withdrawal may take place in Petrivske on Oct. 7, Stanytsia Luhanska - Oct. 9 The Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk has pre-agreed the dates and terms of the withdrawal of troops in Petrivske and Stanytsia Luhanska. 9 335 148 Ukrainian Politics

Russian militants refuse to withdraw troops from Stanytsia Luhanska, construct new checkpoints, - OSCE The Russian invaders refuse to disengage troops and hardware from the occupied area near the bridge in Stanytsia Luhanska. The "LPR" militants also established new checkpoints there. 28 140 57 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine Occupied territories - Crimea and Donbas

Ukrainian military to stay in Stanytsia Luhanska, - Ukraine's representative at JCCC Anti-terrorist operation (ATO) forces are not going to leave Stanytsia Luhanska after the withdrawal of troops from the contact line. 27 097 61 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

обстрел Troop withdrawal outside Petrivske failed as militants fired grenade launchers, - Staff Today's withdrawal of troops outside Petrivske village in the vicinity of Mariupol was disrupted by militants who first launched a drone and then attacked Ukrainian positions with grenade launchers and small arms. 11 743 50 Ukrainian Politics

Work of observers in Petrivske hampered over mines, - OSCE The OSCE monitors have no security guarantees to work in the area. 1 505 9 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

мины Russian invaders withdrawn troops from Zolote, lifting mines near Stanytsia Luhanska checkpoint, - Ukraine’s Defense Ministry The disengagement of troops in accordance with the agreement signed in Minsk on Sept. 21 has started in the Luhansk region. 59 810 301 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Too early to talk about disengagement in Stanytsia Luhanska, - L sector speaker It is too early to talk about disengagement in Stanytsia Luhanska. 7 318 16 Ukrainian Politics

Militants do not want to leave strongholds in Stanytsia Luhanska, - Army spokesperson The Armed Forces of Ukraine confirmed disengagement in Zolote. 19 400 42 Ukrainian Politics

attack 47 militants’ attacks reported yesterday, 120 mm shells hit Zaitseve, - ATO press service Pro-Russian militants continue violating the Minsk agreements. The number of attacks has significantly increased. 8 261 50 Ukrainian Politics

Self-proclaimed republics of Donbas announce failure of weapons withdrawal The "DPR" and "LPR" announced that withdrawal of forces and armaments near Petrovske (the Donetsk region) and Stanytsia Luhanska (the Luhansk region) was disrupted. 31 998 49 Ukrainian Politics

ато авдеевка Truce in Avdiivka’s industrial area ignored by Russian terrorists. PHOTOS The Russian militants do not observe the cease-fire deal in one of the most dangerous areas in the Donbas – Avdiivka’s industrial zone. 15 914 19 Incidents

"No one will increase grey area and leave people behind," - Deputy minister Tuka on disengagement of troops in Donbas Deputy Minister on temporarily occupied territories Heorhii Tuka says no one is going to increase the grey area in the Donbas. 4 867 10 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

тука Stanytsia Luhanska might be excluded from areas of disengagement after militants' attack, - Tuka Deputy Minister on temporarily occupied territories and IDPs Heorhii Tuka says Stanytsia Luhanska in the Luhansk region might be excluded from the list of areas along the contact line designated for disengagement of troops and hardware. 50 246 21 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

луганская станица Terrorist shelled Stanytsia Luhanska, designated area for disengagement, - press officer Pro-Russian militants employed an AGS-17 grenade machine gun to attack Stanytsia Luhanska (the Luhansk region), the town designated as one of three areas for disengagement of troops and hardware as agreed in Minsk last week. 9 430 22 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

карта Ukrainian side of JCCC requests complete seven-day cease-fire and constant monitoring by OSCE for disengagement The Ukrainian side of the Joint Control and Cooperation Center (JCCC) in the Donbas is elaborating its part of fulfillment of the framework decision on the disengagement of troops and hardware made by the Trilateral contact group in Minsk last week. 12 280 21 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine

Ukrainian troops strictly observe cease-fire, - Muzhenko Ukrainian soldiers follow the truce despite constant militants’ attacks in the anti-terrorist operation (ATO) area. 9 211 138 Previously in trend: Russian aggression against Ukraine